Sunday, November 6, 2011

2011 New York City Marathon



Have you even consider running in a marathon? I have and I ran my first marathon in 1985.Since then I have not participated in any. Some of you may have negative thoughts or hear many unpleasant stories about running in a marathon like ... it can hurt our joints, damage our knee caps, brings havoc to your body system, etc etc.


In spite of all these negative reports, if you think you like to try running a marathon, I like to share this article with you about one woman's who is about to turn 55, what make her decided to run the 2011NYC Marathon on 6 Nov.


I like the story and it inspires me to re-consider running another marathon again. She also trains wisely and remarked "Research shows, however, that it won't, if done right. After 30 years of following his own program, Jeff has never had an injury. The reason is simple: it calls for slow, gentle running, with scheduled walk breaks. Distance, not speed, is the goal. It's easy on the joints, and yet gives a high performance cardio work out. People pass me all the time when I am running, but that's okay with me. They'll be the ones looking for an orthopedic surgeon someday."


She added "Running, at any age, offers so many positive benefits: reduced risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, depression and dementia. Contrary to what many people believe, running does not predispose joints to arthritis. In fact, studies show that walking and running can help even chronic health problems. You can do it anywhere, anytime, and it's free."


The article is here. Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Popular Posts