Wednesday, January 6, 2016

10 Things I Learnt from the Nicest Man in Britain


Hello Friend ..

I came across this inspiring article about the "Nicest Man in Britain".

Luke Cameron (left) started his daily good deed challenge last January in memory of family friend Maura (right), who passed away in October 2013
Luke Cameron (left) started his daily good deed challenge last January in memory of family friend Maura (right), who passed away in October 2013
He is Luke Cameron, 27. He ..
  • Challenged himself to do a good deed every day of 2014
  • Beat thousands of candidates to be given the 'Nicest Job in Britain'
  • The philanthropist spent 2015 helping 45 different charities over 52 weeks

Over the last 12 months, he has driven some 30,000 miles - and spent countless hours volunteering - to help each worthy cause with fundraising schemes.

The British Heart Foundation, the YMCA and the Donkey Sanctuary are just three of the charities he has helped. He has also been able to help give valuable time to lesser-known causes.

When Luke Cameron decided to do a good deed every day for a year in 2014, he could never have anticipated how much it would change his life.

The 26-year-old from Cheltenham made the decision after a close family friend died from cancer in 2013.

He started writing a Good Deed blog and logged every kind gesture he made on the site, which has now amassed thousands of followers.

He said:
'In a world of taking selfies with your "besties" and Instagramming pictures of your new handbag and Rolex watch, we forget to think about anyone else but ourselves. 
'Our generation has forgotten to care about others, because we are too self-obsessed to even care what others are going through.'
SOME OF LUKE'S GOOD DEEDS:

Good Deed 345:
One of my colleagues is on crutches after snapping his Achilles Heel. So today I grabbed his lunch for him and took it to his desk so he didn't have to hobble around getting it.

Good Deed 341:
I baked a load of mini lemon drizzle cakes today and sent them around to friends and family.

Good deed 258:
A small but helpful deed today. Carried down my elderly neighbour's trash. Bin day tomorrow.

Good Deed 256:
I was with a colleague today, explaining about doing good deeds. She was a little skeptical about the whole thing, so while she was away from her desk, I left the money for her lunch.
Maybe I can change her opinion of random kindness.

Good Deed 244:
Today I helped somebody in need. I stopped my car on the way home as there were a couple with a map. I gave them directions to the centre of town. They were very grateful

Good deed 242:
While walking the dog, I noticed a load of litter over the field at 7am - clearly the morning after the night before.
It was a few glass bottles and shredded cans. So I carefully picked them up and disposed of them.

Good Deed 221:
I got up at 5.30am to help a friend move house today. I hired a van yesterday and drove around two hours to Exeter to load up and remove everything from a 3 bedroom house.

Lessons I Learnt about Doing Good:

1) Be kind. It starts from the heart.

2) Be willing to get my hands dirty.

3) Be humble. People may ridicule me.

4) Be adventurous. It means doing things I've never done before.

5) Be bold. Sometimes I have to do it alone.

6) Be-lieve that even little acts of kindness mean a lot to others in need.

7) Be alert and observant. My eyes will be opened to see the need in others.

8) Be other centred. Look out for the interest and needs of others and not just my own.

9) Be steadfast. It is so easy to give up.

10) Be loving. Again it comes from the heart.

Do good .... all the time!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts