Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Chinese New Year As I Knew It ..


CNY is just a day away. During my early childhood, CNY season was a busy period for us. My Mum was a seamstress, and she would be rushing to finish off the tailoring for all her clients who every now and then would drop by to remind her. We... had no telephone then. I also chipped in to help with the sewing.

In spite of her busyness, she would still try to prepare something special for the family. About a month before CNY, she would prepare this special wax meat by marinating pork with dark soya sauce and white wine and hang them out in the sun to dry. It normally took two to three weeks before the meat became very dried and turned waxy. We had them steamed together with rice. They are very delicious and the fat has a special fragrance; they are known as “Lap Yuk” in Cantonese.

It’s my Mum’s wish to let us have a special meal during CNY. My Mum has gone home to be with the Lord last Sept. With her gone, this CNY will be different for us. Nonetheless, it brings back sweet memories of those great times we had together.

A blessed Lunar New Year to all.

GOT PURPOSE !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts