Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Make Someone Happy and You’d be Happier Yourself


It was Lunar New Year day and sure enough we have visitors. My wife’s god-sister came by with her son, daughter-in-law and their 6 year old daughter, Emma.

After a while, the little girl, Emma, was getting rather restless while her parents were engrossed in chatting and catching up with various members of my family. Fortunately we have a Maltese, our pet dog, who is also rather restless with so many visitors coming and going in and out of the house. Emma was fascinated by the dog and the dog was in playful mood too and can’t wait to play with her.

At that moment, I decided to do something which is not too natural of me. Instead of being with the adults, I took the dog out for a walk with Emma at a neighborhood park just outside our home. And indeed, Emma had a good time running around with the dog which chased after her from one end of the park to another. She also played hide and seek with the dog and had a great time, probably one of those rare occasions she had to play with a pet dog. To her, happiness is having a good run with the dog and being able to stroke the dog and feed the dog biscuits. That really made her day even though she was bitten by a mosquito. I did not do very much except to make sure the dog does not get difficult.

As I pondered over what happened, I was rather pleased that I made the choice to allow Emma to have a happy and memorable encounter with the pet dog. I made a deliberate choice and through someone had a happy time. I feel happy myself too. It’s so true that often when we give cheerfully, instead of being too concern for our own interests, then the best things in life come our way.

It reminded me of Proverbs 11 verse 25 “A liberal man will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered.”

GOT PURPOSE !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts